lonesomepoint

lonesomepoint

The Brothers Karamazov - Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Larissa Volokhonsky, Richard Pevear I am not sure what to say of this marvelous novel except to echo the last line: "Hurrah for Karamazov!"

Some quotations:

"Ah, children, ah, dear friends, don't be afraid of life! How good life is when one does something good and just!"

"I tell you plainly and openly, dear boy, every decent man ought to be under some woman's thumb."

"Oh, yes, we shall be in chains and there will be no freedom, but then, in our great sorrow, we shall rise again to joy, without which man cannot live nor God exist, for God gives joy; it's His privilege--a grand one."

"If they drive God from the earth, we shall shelter Him underground. One cannot exist in prison without God; it's even more impossible than out of prison. And then we men underground will sing from the bowels of the earth a glorious hymn to God, with Whom is joy. Hail to God and His joy! I love Him!"

"I think I could stand any suffering, only to be able to say and to repeat to myself, 'I exist.' In thousands of agonies--I exist. I'm tormented on the rack--but I exist! Though I sit alone in a pillar--I exist!"

"[I]f He doesn't exist, man is the chief of the earth, of the universe. Magnificent! Only how is he going to be good without God? That's the question. I will always come back to that. For whom is man going to love then? To whom will he be thankful? To whom will he sing the hymn?"

"Someone visited my soul in that hour."

"Water the earth with the tears of your joy and love those tears."

"[T]he more he insults you, the more you love him--that's your 'laceration' You love him just as he is; and you love him for insulting you. If he reformed, you'd give him up at once and cease to love him. But you need him so as to contemplate your heroic fidelity and to reproach him for infidelity. And it all comes from your pride."